I feel there are a few great things I’ve done in my life. Much like many of you I not only got into personal productivity to get things done — I want to do great things. Maybe even change the world kind of things. It’s one of the reasons I’m so passionate about the Web. I wrote about this way back in 1999. I’ve always felt that the Web can enable great change and while I tend to look at things from a bit of a different angle now, I still believe that.
Anyway, I’ve been thinking quite a bit about what I need to do to do something great and I wanted to write about that here. I want you to keep in mind that these are my opinions on what it takes to do something great and they’re very much open to interpretation.
h2. Thoughts on Doing Something Great
* You need focus. Doing something great needs great focus.
* You need to rid yourself of fear. Fear is often what’ll keep us from getting something done, let alone something great. Doing great things often requires a person to take a risk or take a leap of faith. Failure is a possibility, sure, but so is something great. I know this is my biggest stumbling block.
* Sometimes “great” is simply really good. Great is rarely perfect. Seth Godin agrees with me that “perfect” is the enemy of the good. And the great. Don’t let the drive for perfection keep you from doing something great.
* Treat every idea like it’s got possibilities. Sometimes great ideas don’t seem that great at the start. I think To-Done is pretty great, and it started out as a pretty small idea.
* Starting is the hardest part. I’ve not read The Art of The Start (I plan to) but I do know that once you take that very first step forward things become much easier.
* Doing something great requires a plan. Set your goal, make a plan, then act on it.
* An idea is only as good as its execution. I know people, everyday people like you and I, with great ideas, who just never do anything with them. For an idea to be worth anything you’ve got to do something with it.
* You have to want it. Whatever it is. I have a motivational saying for myself: “Own it.” What I mean by that is I tell myself that an idea, or concept or whatever is something I can make my own. The desire to want to do something great needs to be there, you need to “own it.” Confidence and a positive attitude can work wonders.
I’d love to hear any suggestions y’all might have, or any insight towards doing something really great.