Over the last few months I’ve taken some serious steps toward getting my e-mail under control. There are a few things that have worked very well for me and I’d like to share them with you.
* Keep your inbox empty. You may already do this, and if so, you now how hard it can be, but this is key to managing you e-mail.
* Set your inbox to check for new messages only a few times a day. Those pesky notifications can really get into your focus.
* Take harsh measures against spam. I had to have my host (Dreamhost) hook me up with an agressive spam filter to actually make a significant cut into the amount of spam I’d been getting. Sure I risk losing a few mails, but I think it’s worth it. They also provide me with a nice weekly (I think) summary of all the junk they blocked.
* Move mailing lists, listservs and such to a new e-mail address. Gmail is very good for this.
* Make liberal use of the “delete” key. Get those old, unused messages out of the way. More on deleting to get things done.
So, there you have it. 5 easy tips to being more productive with e-mail. Anyone else have any they’d like to add?